April 9, 2011

Garlic Crumb-Coated Broccoli. Um. Yum.

I honestly wasn't looking forward to this recipe, because it didn't sound that exciting. How different is it from just sauteing broccoli in a bit of olive oil or butter and garlic?

Well, I should have known better, because breadcrumbs sauteed with garlic are always something special and delicious.

To try to make this recipe a little healthier, I used extra virgin olive oil instead of butter. I also used panko breadcrumbs instead of regular ones, simply because that's what I had in the house.


I really loved the result, well, who cares about the broccoli, I loved the garlic breadcrumbs! I think that had I used regular breadcrumbs, more would have probably stuck to the broccoli. But I was ok with having a bunch of leftover crispy tasty crumbs, because I then sprinkled them on my salad, on a lemon/evoo-dressed quinoa, and ate the rest with a spoon. Um. Yum.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

I think we're all a bit in love with this lovely dish. Trust Dorie to elevate the ordinary broccoli to something that tastes extraordinary!

Adriana said...

I also ate my crumbs with a spoon! I have learned that making these simple AMFT recipes will always bring something pleasantly unexpected, otherwise they wouldn't be there! For me that was the addition of lemon zest. Wow!

Cher Rockwell said...

Ah - how can one go wrong with breadcrumbs, indeed! Glad you enjoyed.

Candy (Dulce) said...

Glad you liked it! I thought it was great, too, to have that little crunchy twist to make a great vegetable better!

Anonymous said...

This was really good :) I loved my nut crumbs but cant wait to try it with breadcrumbs next time!

tricia s. said...

In total agreement about thinking this would be good but nothing unusual (Beggar's linguine anyone ?:) Was I wrong. Can't believe how amazing these little tweaks made the broccoli. Nana and I both just loved it - she had made similar variations on swiss chard stalks for years but never tried broccoli. AMAZING. Love that Dorie....

Anonymous said...

This recipe was a real surprise. We didn't think we'd like it much, but it had so much flavour. I'm not sure anyone had much success with it sticking to the broccoli, though.

Maureen said...

The garlicky crunch on the broccoli sounds so good. I've got broccoli and I've got garlic and I've got crumbs so tomorrow it is! Thanks.