July 1, 2007

Mission Accomplished!

So I poached an egg successfully today! I learned that it doesn't matter if you use a more shallow saute pan or a deeper pot. I filled the pot with about 2 inches of water, and then added a splash of distilled white vinegar - I think this is truly the key. I broke an egg into a small dish, and after the water reached a boil, I removed it from the heat, gently slid the egg into the water, and put the lid on the pot. (Thanks Martha! You're the best!) A few minutes later, I had the perfect poached egg, with solid egg whites and a yolk that was firm on the outside but still slightly runny on the inside. Great!
So now that leaves Beef Wellington, and...souffles. I've decided that I need to learn to make different types of souffles, both sweet and savory. How can one feel prepared to host any sort of party without knowing souffle basics? I think it's simply not possible!
...Stay tuned for updates on my cooking technique adventures...

And another thing: apparently La Madeleine restaurant is now trying to serve French Toast that is neither dipped in an egg mixture or sauteed/fried in a pan. I received a report that a recent order of La Madeleine French Toast actually was a danish (which seemed old) cut in half with some fruit and syrup on top. If that's French Toast then I don't even know where to start. The manager supposedly said that they "changed the recipe," but Mr. Manager, a piece of advice: when you change a recipe so that it no longer even vaguely resembles its old self, then CHANGE THE NAME! French Toast is not and never will be an old danish doused in syrup and fruit. Why not try "Sickly Sweet and Fruity Day-Old Danish" to describe your new creation?

No comments: