February 18, 2011

Pancetta Green Beans and Playing Catch-up!

Whew! I finished the weekly recipe and am still going to be be able to get out and enjoy the warm afternoon. Hooray! Since I started FFWD only recently, I'll be posting catch-up recipes until I get caught up. It's just this little goal of mine.

Pancetta green beans - um, YUM! I could only find thinly sliced pancetta, but it was delicious just the same. Honestly, I used the frozen haricots verts from Trader Joe's, and they were still delicious. I made pumpkin gorgonzola flan today too. Didn't realize until after I had emptied the can into the food processor that it was actually pumpkin pie mix, so there was some sugar and various pie spices in it. I went ahead and made it anyway, and it was, well, ok. The gorgonzola, also from Trader Joe's, was sooo dry. I thought it would moisten and melt more in the flan, but it was still basically a lump. It was an interesting recipe and I would try it again with normal plain pumpkin.

Earlier in the week I made Gerard's Mustard Tart. I like mustard, and when I tasted the wet mix, I didn't notice too much mustard, so I used a little more than 2T of each. And maybe it was a little much. Fortunately I like that horseradishy hotness that goes straight to your brain. Crust was delicious and what an impressive dish.

Merci Dorie and Bon Appetit a tous!!!

7 comments:

Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup! said...

Welcome to FFwD. I have a little catching up to do also, but I did make the Pumpkin Gorgonzola Flan before I joined the group and really loved it. I'll have to try the mustard tart - that looks really tempting.

Kris' Kitchen said...

Good for you to do some catch-up. The beans and the mustard tart would be a great combo, and since the beans were simple, this was the week for another tart. Wonderful!

Cher Rockwell said...

Great that you are working your way through some of the back recipes - you picked a couple of good ones to catch up on. I just missed the mustard tart when I joined, but was glad I went back and made it. YUM

tricia s. said...

The mustard tart was one of Nana and my all time favorites. She has a great square tart pan and when we cut it all up into little squares, they turn into perfect hors d'oeuvres. Of course I still ate a ton. We all loved these beans as well. Esp how simple they were. A real keeper.

Anonymous said...

That's a really impressive catch up! Everyone loved the mustard tart here, but there were mixed reviews for the flans. I liked them, but was alone in that!

Lana said...

Welcome to the group! i applaud you for your determination to catch up (I had to skip almost whole January because of my work schedule change, and did not manage to make up the lost work:)
There are a lot of great recipes in the book left over to try in the incoming weeks. Looking forward to reading your takes on them:)

Unknown said...

I'm playing catch up too. I haven't made the flans or the mustard tart yet but hope to soon.