October 12, 2007

CUA Crabfest

Today was the annual grad student Crabfest at CUA in DC. Of course I had to attend, if only to see how bad it would be this year, but also to spend some QT with my friends that, due to the fact that we're all done with coursework, I never see. Is that a run-on sentence or what? Maybe not. There was one person missing from Crabfest, but I still had to make an appearance.

Impressed by the beer selection, there was a choice on tap of Bud Light, some Pumpkin Spice Ale, and Beck's. You did have to stand in a long line, but the plastic cups they gave us at the entrance were pretty big.

Crabs - I just can't get into them. I love crabcakes, and every time I go to the Crabfest I'm reminded why crab meat is just that expensive. Because it's a pain in the butt to remove from the crab! I just gave up after attempting to get meat out of 2 claws, and I'm sad to say it but I threw away 2 perfectly good crabs, who apparently died for nothing. Sorry crabs!

Corn on the cob - ran out of it for like 2 hours, but then it came back - soggy...

Coleslaw - good, and that's coming from a person who doesn't even like coleslaw...

Pulled pork sandwiches - also disappeared for a good 2 hours and then reappeared only to disappear within a matter of minutes again...

Hamburgers - did not resemble meat in the slightest, I heard someone say they were "inedible"...

Hot dogs - splotchy color but still tasty, with mustard and relish and ketchup, oh my!

Veggie burgers - looked really similar to the hamburgers, did not try them...

And lots of cookies and fruit salad. As soon as the sun went down, in the shadow of the Basilica, it became FREEZING outside! Thanks Toni for bringing us a blanket to sit on, because otherwise our butts would have frozen to the ground!

And boo to the people who managed to hit my friend in the head TWICE with a football before finally realizing that maybe they shouldn't be playing ball so close to people sitting down eating with their backs to them. Hope her head is ok!

Long live Crabfest! (Only next year, could we make it something different, like Crabcakefest? Or BBQfest? Or Shrimpfest? Shrimp are much easier to peel!)

No comments: